February 15, 2017, Version 7.0 of the PC software and Version 2.4 of the Firmware
To offer and provide you with the highest quality software, I'm going to need more time before releasing the next version of the PC software and firmware. Testing
is simply taking longer than estimated. The release has been rescheduled for the week of February 20.
Michael Jablonski, IEEE Computer Society Certified Professional Software Engineering Master (PSEM)
January 2, 2017, Version 7.0 of the PC software and Version 2.4 of the Firmware
Two more weeks are needed to finish testing and cleanup of the upgraded software for the SDI-12 Verifier, supporting version 1.4 of SDI-12. Its release date has been
moved to January 16.
December 1, 2016, Version 7.0 of the PC software and Version 2.4 of the Firmware
The software upgrade to test version 1.4 of SDI-12: high volume ASCII command, high volume binary command, and metadata commands, will be released during the
the first week of January, 2017.
November 7, 2016, Corrected an error in Version 18.104.22.168, releasing Version 22.214.171.124.
The problem was that the Verifier's PC software failed to run when the regional settings on a PC were set to certain Asian languages.
Support for testing SDI-12 Version 1.4 is still in progress.
October 17, 2016, Support for Version 1.4 is Coming
With the foundation to support the High Volume Binary Commands and the High Volume ASCII commands now up and running, we can say, with confidence, that we are in the home stretch of finishing an upgraded version of the Verifier’s software to support version 1.4 of SDI-12. We will forecast a date for its release sometime soon.
July 20, 2016
The SDI-12 Support Group has released Version 1.4 of the SDI-12 Specification, adding high volume commands and metadata commands to SDI-12. We are upgrading the SDI-12 Verifier to test these new SDI-12 features. The upgrade will be ready as soon as possible.
July 1, 2016
Released version 126.96.36.199 of the PC Sofware.
Version 6.1 of the PC software:
- corrects an error in the comprehensive sensor test when the regional settings specified a comma, rather than a period, as a decimal separator for number formatting;
- sets the minimum ttt time (in seconds) to be one second, rather than five seconds, when simulating a sensor and reading the responses to the D commands from a pattern file on the PC;
- reports an error when the response from a sensor is transmitted in less than 8.33 milliseconds, after the stop bit of the last character of the command, indicating that the sensor did not place the SDI-12 data line in a marking state long enough before sending the response to a command;
- requires a license key for a 30 day trial version, which is provided upon request; a 30 day trial license is no longer provided automatically. Licensed installations of version 6.0 remain licensed, automatically, after installation of version 6.1.
June 30, 2016
Released version 2.34 of the firmware. This corrects an error in which the sensor simulation mode limited the number of data values to 20, rather than 99,
when simulating a sensor and getting the data values from a pattern file on the PC.
April 26, 2016
The SDI-12 Support Group has announced that four additions have been made to the SDI-12 Specification (See www.sdi-12.org/announcements.php for more details.):
- Identify Measurement Commands
- Identify Measurement Parameter Commands
- Start High Volume ASCII Measurement
- Start High Volume Binary Measurement
April 12, 2016
Released version 2.33 of the firmware. This corrects an intermittent error in which some time stamps, in the monitor mode, were incorrect.
April 14, 2015
Version 6.0 of the PC Software for the SDI-12 Verifier is ready.
Version 2.32 of the firmware is also ready. Version 2.32 provides support for the new features in Version 6.0 of the PC software. You should load version 2.32 of the firmware into the Verifier for use with version 6.0 of the PC software.
This includes: support for the data recorder break/command/retry test, the ability to enable/disable time stamps in the monitor mode, a much improved data recorder, better testing of concurrent commands, and more.
Version 6.0 of the PC software provides:
- an improved data recorder mode with timing schedules that no longer drift, with full support for concurrent measurement commands;
- four output formats for the data recorder mode: quiet, verbose, comma separated values (csv), and extensible markup language (XML);
- a summary screen for the data recorder mode, showing all command/response activity at a glance;
- a choice to show or hide time stamps in the monitor mode;
- testing up to 99 measurements taken by an SDI-12 sensor;
- a data recorder test to graph and show the break/command/retry sequence;
- improved testing of concurrent measurement commands;
- a tool to load firmware into the SDI-12 Verifier directly from the PC software;
- a digital clock to help track timing events;
- many improvements and error corrections in response to customer feedback;
- and more ...
Unlike with all prior versions of the PC software for the SDI-12 Verifier, Version 6.0 is licensed. One license is included with the purchase
of an SDI-12 Verifier (price).
If you already have an SDI-12 Verifier, a 30 day trial version of 6.0 is available to download.
Please be advised that installing version 6.0 will remove version 5.1 from your PC. Version 5.1, however, will still be available to download and reinstall, at no charge.
January 21, 2015
Version 6.0 will soon be released. It has been out for beta test since November. We are now taking the final steps to prepare it for release.
December 5, 2014
Version 6.0 is still out for beta test by three companies that make SDI-12 products. So far so good. They have so far reported only minor problems with version 6.0 of the Verifier's PC sofware.
October 31, 2014
Version 6.0 of the PC software for the SDI-12 Verifer is going out to three companies for beta testing today. Experience has shown that beta testing
will expose problems that escaped our testing. The three companies that will test it are experienced with SDI-12.
Depending on the comments we receive from the beta testers, we plan to release it in mid November. There will be no more long delays.
February 9, 2014
Added a digital signature to the installation program for the SDI-12 Verifier PC software to identify NR Systems, Inc. as the publisher.
Added an improved installation program for the installation of the PC software.
February 1, 2014
Added a digital signature to the installation program for the SDI-12 Verifier Firmware Loader program. This digital signature has two purposes: 1)it ensures that
the software is from NR Systems, Inc.; 2) it protects the software from alteration after publication.
Digital signatures will be added to other downloads, as appropriate, soon.
January 22, 2014
Version 2.2 of the firmware for the SDI-12 Verifier is now available on the downloads page.
Version 2.2 replaces version 2.1. An error was found and corrected. In some cases when a sensor did not respond successfully to a measurement command, and when a ttt value was greater than zero, the Verifier falsely indicated success. It also failed to display information about the command/response transaction. Question marks (?) for the results and zero for all of the timing measurements were displayed rather than the actual results.
This error was introduced when version 2.0 was released last August. This screen image shows the problem:
October 4, 2013
Version 2.1 of the firmware for the SDI-12 Verifier is now available on the downloads page. Version 2.1 replaces version 2.0. An error was found and corrected in the monitor mode. The delta time stamp for a service request was incorrect when the ttt value, in response to an M or MC command, was greater than 60 seconds.
August 5, 2013
Version 2.0 of the firmware for the SDI-12 Verifier is now available on the downloads page.
Version 2.0 corrects memory problems which were discovered in versions 1.7 and 1.71. This resulted in unpredictable results in the concurrent command measurement test.
Version 2.0 also adds support to test up to 99 data values returned by sensors in response to the concurrent measurement commands. The shipping version of the software (5.1), however, limits the testing to 20 data values. When version 6.0 of the PC software is ready, and used with version 2.0 of the firmware, that limit will go away.
Three hundred and sixty (360) characters are now reserved for SDI-12 data values in the Verifier's sensor simulation mode and when the Verifier's PC software is used as an SDI-12 data recorder. This allows the Verifier to simulate a sensor that returns up to 40 data values in response to the concurrent commands. Likewise, the data recorder mode can save up to 40 data values, when all of the data values have nine characters.
The maximum number of characters that can be in a measurement/parameter is nine. The limit of 360 is derived as: 9 * 40 = 360. More data values are simulated and saved when there are less than nine characters in the data values.
May 21, 2013
Version 1.71 of the firmware for the SDI-12 Verifier is now available on the downloads page.
After the release of version 1.7 on May 1, an error was discovered and corrected. The error was present only when using the Verifier's PC software in the data recorder mode. The problem was that some responses to D commands were incomplete when multiple measurements were being returned in response to the D commands.
May 2, 2013
Upgraded the SDI-12 Verifier firmware loader program from version 1.0 to 1.1.
Version 1.0 only listed virtual com ports 1 to 50, precluding the ability to use com ports greater than 50.
Version 1.1 lists com ports up to 250.
May 1, 2013
Version 1.7 of the firmware for the SDI-12 Verifier is now available on the downloads page.
April 8, 2013
Version 1.7 of the firmware for the SDI-12 Verifier is done. It has passed all of our testing. We are, however, posting it as a beta version for a short period.
It is available on the downloads page. This version works with the shipping version (5.1) of the PC software. It will also work with the Version 6.0, which will
be ready soon.
Version 1.7 of the firmware has the following improvements and corrections:
- Improved the efficiency of the code.
- Reduced the code size by eighteen percent, freeing up space to add support for addditional features.
- Added enhancements to improve version 6.0 of the PC software, which will be released soon:
- Added code for better testing of concurrent measurements.
- Added code for more efficient use of concurrent commands by the PC software's data recorder mode.
- Corrected an error in which superfluous characters where returned to the PC, in response to D and R commands, when using the Verifier as a pass through device, without the PC software.
- Modified the C Command Reset Test so that a break is transmitted prior to the first SDI-12 command; in previous versions the break was transmitted only during a retry sequence.
- Extended the timeout duration for responses to extended commands to the maximum time allowed of 810 milliseconds.
- Corrected a sensor simulation error. When simulating a concurrent command in previous versions, the simulated sensor sometimes remained in a wait state for more than ttt seconds. This caused the subsequent D command to abort the measurments, returning the sensor address, followed by a carriage return/line feed, rather than the data values.
- When simulating a sensor, and reading the D command responses from a file on the PC, previous versions of the firmware did not place a CRC on the response to a D command, after an MC command, when the measurement command was aborted. Corrected this error.
March 11, 2013
Version 1.7 of the firmware is still under test. Pending test results, it will be released soon.
February 18, 2013
We have missed this scheduled release date. This project is simply taking longer than estimated.
Version 1.7 of the firmware is done, but it is still under test. We are pushing its release forward by one week, pending the test results.
January 2, 2013
New versions of the firmware (version 1.7) are scheduled for release on or before February 18, 2013.
This upcoming version will have numerous enhancements and corrections made in response to many comments received over the last two years.
July 13, 2009
Released version 188.8.131.52 of the PC Software. This is a minor upgrade. Corrected an error in which the PC software failed to close when running on Windows XP or Windows Vista, on user accounts without administrative privileges.
Released version 184.108.40.206 of the PC Software, which has the following improvements and features:
- Corrected an error in the management of threads when running the comprehensive sensor test. Two customers reported that this test would intermittently lock up. This has been corrected.
- The Verifier no longer makes an attempt to validate the content of responses to extended commands. Therefore, when using the transparent mode or the menu item Transmit/Transmit Extended Command, the PC software directs the firmware to not validate the content of the response. The PC software, does, however, check to see that the first character of the response is the address and that the response is terminated with a carriage return/line feed pair.
- For the menu items Transmit/Transmit Command, and Transmit/Transmit Extended Commands, an error of 8.33 milliseconds of marking detected during a response by a sensor may be caused because the response is not properly terminated with a carriage return/line feed pair. All responses missing the carriage return/line feed pair are now flagged as an invalid response, in addition to any other error that is detected, when using these two menu options. This change was made to make it clear that the response was not property
terminated with a
- In a rare case, a division by zero error could occur when computing the descriptive statistics when sending 100 iterations of a command to a sensor in the comprehensive sensor test or when using the Sensors/Exercise commands options. This has been corrected.
- Modified the service request test to show intermediate results while the Verifier is waiting for the sensor to issue a service request.
Released version 5.0 of the PC Software and version 1.6 of the firmware, which have the following improvements and features:
- The monitor mode places time stamps on SDI-12 commands.
- Added a sensor test to check if a sensor retains its data between measurement commands.
- The data recorder mode displays the number of retries issued before getting a response from a sensor.
- The data recorder mode displays incoming service requests.
- The transparent mode is easier to use.
- The transparent mode displays incoming service requests.
- The manual transmission of commands is easier to use.
- The limits on the command transmission attributes (break, marking) have increased to 500 milliseconds.
- The time to wait for a response from a sensor can now be changed when transmitting commands to a sensor.
- It works with the serial port and the USB based Verifier hardware.
- Partial test results remain on the screen after stopping a sensor test before the test is done.
- It runs on Microsoft ® Windows 98, Windows XP, and Windows Vista.
- Made other corrections and improvements as requested by users.
March, 2007. Released the third generation of the hardware:
- The serial port was replaced with a USB port (all software changes--firmware and PC software, however, work on the serial port versions).
- It is RoHs compliant; this means that all manufacturing processes and materials purchased for this product are lead free.
- Power is supplied to the device via the USB port; no need for an AC adapter.
- Firmware updates can be loaded via the USB port; no need for a flash programming adapter.